Mother’s Day is coming up, and like all special occasions, smart restaurant owners and managers will carry out specific marketing to make the holiday as profitable as possible.You must begin early with Mother’s Day restaurant marketing ideas to get the most out of the occasion, and you’ll want to focus both on getting new customers as well as encouraging repeat visits. You’ll also want to use these times to upsell and get more out of the customers that do come through your doors. And Mother’s Day is the perfect occasion to build your restaurant customer base as well as encourage loyalty to your restaurant. Follow these steps to put in place an effective Mother’s Day campaign for your restaurant.
Here are some Mother’s Day restaurant marketing ideas
To create a great mother’s day restaurant marketing campaign, and one you can use year after year, you’ll want to have a two pronged restaurant marketing strategy: one to get new customers, and the other to get more value out of their visit.
Think about what Mother’s Day restaurant promotional ideas that will make you stand out from the crowd, and then be sure to communicate around the ideas. Get a photographer in for the day, give away flowers, offer free champagne to all mothers. And make sure to communicate about your special restaurant marketing activities for mother’s day in ads, brochures, flyers, emails and wherever else you can.
5 steps to setting up an effective Mother’s Day restaurant marketing campaign
- Decide what special things you will do for Mother’s Day. Will you create a special offer? Have specific Mother’s Day activities?
- Plan the ways that you will communicate around your Mother’s Day campaign (e-mail, postcards, posters in the neighborhood, etc).
- Begin 1 month to 6 weeks before Mother’s Day and send reminders by email and through social media up until the day.
- All staff must be aware of the Mother’s Day restaurant program, understand how it works and why you are doing it.
- You must have a way to track all of your marketing activities (see the chapter on ‘Metrics’ in the WWRM manual). Complete Return on Investment calculations on each activity (use the FREE Win Win Marketing ROI calculator ). Compare the results, modify the activities, eliminate those that aren’t working and keep the ones that are for next year.
Communicate around your Mother’s Day activities
Remember: multiple marketing methods are most effective. By using several different marketing activities at the same time you will improve your results:
- Place a small local ad in a very targeted publication. Make sure that your ad follows the guidelines for effective restaurant advertising.
- Send a press release to your list of journalists. Make sure to have a great angle or twist to your story. Try to do this at least one month before Mother’s’ Day and then follow up with phone calls.
- Leading up to Mother’s Day give out postcards with the bill, as well as to anyone else you come in contact with, explaining what you are doing for ”Mother’s Week” and suggesting people reserve immediately.
- Partner with a neighboring business to create a package that includes a visit to a bookstore, a spa treatment or movie theater.
- Put up a poster on your own door and anywhere else you can. Special occasions are a prime opportunity to connect with both new and existing customers, so make sure you do everything you can to take advantage of this Mother’s Day.
Some creative Mother’s Day restaurant marketing ideas
Here are a few ideas for Mother’s Day restaurant marketing campaigns to inspire you. The key to a good Mother’s day is to be creative and think about what you yourself would appreciate as a family.
- Have a photographer in the restaurant (or arm one of your staff with a camera) to take snapshots of the family. Take their email and send them a copy of the photo. This gives you a great reason to take their contact details that you can later use to do further marketing.
- Create ‘Mother’s Week’ and celebrate with special Mother’s Offers all through the week. This is a great service for those who can’t make the actual day (like restaurant owners) and helps you fill down times.
- Give all mothers a flower or chocolates as they leave the restaurant.
- Offer a free glass of champagne or fun cocktail to all mothers and/or their families
- Enter all mothers in a raffle when reserving and have the drawing on the day.
- Develop a special high-end Mother’s Day menu to celebrate the occasion. When customers are looking to celebrate they are not normally pinching pennies, so this is the perfect time to get more money out of your restaurant customers.
For more ideas and a complete Mother’s Day restaurant marketing plan, with everything already done for you and ready to go, check out the Win Win Restaurant Marketing Library.